The Future of this project.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Hi John,

There are some remarkable similarities between your project and the R&D I've been doing over the last few months. I too have found Knockout as a viable package for integration with SP2010. AngularJs was not as successful. I'm trying to write a package that encapsulates all the oData and Ecmascript CSOM interface so that everyday DotNet devs can be instantly productive in SharePoint.

I have a current CodePlex project SharePoint 2010 HTML5 MasterPage Templates which is an HTML5 MasterPage and my intention is to incorporate my new library into the template to create a full RAD environment for SharePoint customization.

Progress has been fairly good. I'm wondering. Has this project been abandoned? It looks like a great start.
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Edited Apr 16, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I'm still around, I think the project isn't abandoned so much as I'm not sure what to do next.

SPASPA was built for SP2010, prior to Microsoft releasing SP2013 - I was not under NDA, and had no knowledge of what will be in SP2013, so at the time I was thinking I might package SPASPA as a 2013 App. Seems like a great direction to go. SPASPA uses solely Javascript, and I could update it to match whatever Microsoft does with the new SP2013 client side APIs.

SP2013 was launched with its own Single Page Application layout. Suddenly, I find one of the original aim of SPASPA kind of pointless.

So SPASPA will remain as a project solely focused for SP2010, but then I haven't received much feedback at all about what people want to see. If anything, I'm using SPASPA as an example of LOTS of KnockoutJS integrated with CSOM and REST.

SP2013 addresses some of my issues with the ad-hoc random names given to Lists in the REST API, with /_api/Web/Lists/getByTitle(""), and would be fantastic to work with.

SPASPA hasn't had the kind of feedback I was hoping to see, and I've somewhat ran out of cool ideas to test on SPASPA for now.
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2013 at 7:55 AM
I am heavily using TypeScript now, so when TypeScript 0.9 generics are released, I will most likely update the SPASPA project to TypeScript.

I'm very keen for project members to join me and help me with SPASPA, but without other committed members, I treat this as a personal demonstration playground for showing off the culmination of all my work from my talks, demos and presentations.
Apr 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Hi John,

I resemble that remark J. I haven’t worked with typescript yet. I spent the majority of my recent efforts on JavaScript patterns. Give me a heads up when the project picks up again. I’m going to continue with my project and implementing an oData/CSOM wrapper in the project, but maybe when your project picks up I can contribute.